Wednesday, March 6, 2013


Bead Soup Anyone?

For the last few years I have followed the blogs of some of the people participating in Lori Anderson's Bead Soup Blog Party and have been so intrigued about the great idea.  So this time around, I decided to jump in to join in the fun.  Lori partners participants who have very different styles of design.  I thought that this was just what I needed to get my creative muse going again.  

I had the pleasure of being partnered with the very talented Mary Harding residing in the state of New York (my birth state).

  Mary is a very accomplished artist with a passion for creating ceramic components (beads, toggle clasps, pendants and charms); freeform peyote stitch beadwork; fused glass; raku and dichoric glass.



Look at this amazing freeform styled bracelet.....a piece of art!  I love the freeform style.  The amount of time it takes to work with these tiny seedbeads and planning the transition of colors and textures in a piece such as this is to be respected….not to mention good eyesight and patience. Bravo Mary!


Mary's love of nature can be seen throughout her work.  She captures her surroundings of the countryside of New York in her pieces. 



Mary sells her jewelry components and designs in her Etsy store and components, ebooks, classes, supplies and designs on her    websiteYes, she does offer instruction and shares her secrets.



My sweet gift box from Mary arrived a few weeks ago tied perfectly with one of her darling ceramic heart charms….aren't I lucky.





And looky, looky what Mary selected for me.  I was born in the fall and it is one of my favorite seasons with the richness of the colors and textures.  This assortment reflects fall perfectly don't you think?  Mary created a ceramic clay pendant depicting native Burdock Tassels; a copper clay toggle clasp; a whimsical copper flower shank button, and orange ceramic beads made from earthenware clay.  I so appreciate the work that went into the making of these components and the thought that Mary put into selecting complimentary stones of Coral and Red Botswana agate, and tubes of Carnelian. 

For those of you who are familiar with my work, I most often design with vintage finds, neutral colors, rust and glitz.  So, this bead collection from Mary gave me the challenge I was looking for.

March 30th will be the "reveal" for my group.  So stay tuned to see what I designed using Mary's selections.


A silk ribbon entwined box ready to be sent off to Mary.
  To see what Mary received from me, visit her blog.

If you haven't participated in Lori's Bead Soup Swap before, I invite you to visit the Bead Soup Blog (see button for Bead Soup in the sidebar to the right) and get the details and join in the fun of the reveal blog hop coming up over the next few months.  Challenging yourself to do something outside of your comfort (safe) zone can broaden your horizons, present you with opportunities to try new techniques and designs; and work with materials you would not otherwise work with.  And the icing on the cake is meeting new people......just like Mary.  


5 comments:

steufel said...

Can't wait to see what you both will create! I love Marys stuff. She is so creative. So are you - what a great pairng you both are.

khess136 said...

Such fun! Your challenge components are gorgeous and I can't wait to see what your creative genius does with them! ; )
I paid a visit to Mary's blog and absolutely loved the lavender and purple vision you sent, along with the handmade links (a personal favorite) and the "old stuff!"
I participated in Blog Soup 2 years ago and look forward to another one in the very near future. Thanks for sharing such lovelies, Diana!
xoxo
Karen

Charlene said...

I didn't know you were born in New York!!!! Geeeez there's always more to learn isn't there. I've been missing you so. Talked to Vic the other day & she caught me up on your world... I almost called you tonight but, after looking at the clock I thought you might be fixing Daddy D's din din. Hugs to you & Ms Olive. Elle & I will try to call tomorrow. We are going to the tile store in Ft Worth & have to meet the plumber... isn't our life exciting? Just posted a few photos of "the mess". HUGS & KNOW I MISS YOU!

kathy stemke said...

Great soup! I’m part of the bead soup party. Looking forward to the reveals. I'm now following you. I have a new blog. Please consider following my jewelry blog. Thanks.
http://vintagememoriesjewelry.blogspot.com

EWA gyöngyös világa! / EWA's World of Beads! said...

Fantastic pieces!Congrats!